Monday, April 22, 2013

Don't do Book Club, Like I do Book Club

My girlfriend Leane, who lives much to far from me, has been part of a book club for years.  I'm often envious of the social aspect of being in a book club but I have to be honest.  I don't enjoy reading (all that much).  The only time I remember devouring books was in junior high, when Sweet Valley High was all the rage.  Don't judge me, if you're my age you know exactly what I'm talking about.  As an adult, I've read books on vacation or taken them along on business trips but lapping up the pages of a novel is not something I do regularly.  

Knowing this, I still got invited to be a part of a book club.  Warned the ladies right off the top, that I'm in it more for the night out than the book.   It wasn't an issue, so I was all I'm IN!  The most recent book club choice was 419 by Giller Award winning Will Ferguson.  The ladies all gather on a cold and wintery April Saturday night, some were all cozied up in their pj's even, and we had a pot luck Cafe Rio feast too (I get all drooly just thinking about the food - but that's another post). 

It wasn't long before the conversation around the book got very interesting, I was intently listening to what everyone thought of the book ... when ding dong, a late comer arrives.  Who is said late comer?  If it wasn't Will Ferguson himself. WOW.  He told us all about how the book came to be, how he researched it, how he felt about it.  He was funny and entertaining and totally interactive. Asked the ladies questions, and in turn answered every one of theirs.  And no, I didn't admit to him that I *gasp* hadn't read the book.

Our lovely hostess Catherine with Will.

As soon as he left, I sent Leane a text saying "next time I say I'm going to book club, but don't read the book, remind me that you never know who is going to show up at these things!".

I'm reading the book now, perhaps it's even more interesting to me after meeting Will, and I'm really enjoying it.  I promise I will do book club better, next time. 

7 comments:

  1. slacker ;)

    Haha actually, reading it after hearing him speak about it likely would be a lot of fun. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...it is always great catching up with you even if it is at book club when you haven't read the book. I'm with Heather, I bet reading it after meeting Will makes it even more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to try this Cafe Rio already! I'm also never missing another book club ever again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hold no judgement over the Sweet Valley High books. I read all the Sweet Valley Twins in Elementary and SWH in junior high and I even read Sweet Valley Confidential about a year ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Psst... I hadn't read the book yet either! It will for sure be better having met the author. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's Sweet Valley High?

    I LOVE you babe

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Sweet Valley High books too! They were the best!

    ReplyDelete