Saturday, March 16, 2013

Stuffed Peppers {Recipe}

There are some things I hear people talking about having for dinner. And I think, you can make those?  Well, stuffed peppers was one of those things for me.  Wanting to try them for a while, I googled WAY too many recipes which hurt my brain and then I decided to hit the kitchen and came up with these. 

Fantastic. Actually pretty quick to make, on the table in less than an hour.


Recipe:
4 peppers (I bought a mixed bag, had 2 red, 1 yellow and 1 green)
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/2 medium onion, diced
The tops of the 4 peppers, diced
3/4 cup instant rice
1 medium can diced tomatoes
3 Italian sausages
1 tsp steak spice
1/4 tsp salt
About 3/4 cup shredded cheese
(as a side note, this made enough stuffing for 5 peppers, the left over stuffing was baked in a small dish)

  • Cut the top off of the 4 peppers, clean out the innards, and place into a dish that will hold them all tightly.
  • Into a frying pan, squeeze out the sausage from the casing, and saute with the onions, diced peppers and carrots until well cooked (I didnt add garlic, and after eating them I might add a clove or two next time).
  • Add the can of tomatoes, rice and spices and mix to combine all ingredients.
  • Scoop into the peppers, press well and fill to the top.
  • Cover in tinfoil, bake at 350 for 35 minutes.
  • Remove foil, top with cheese and broil for a few min until cheese is bubbly and crispy

Let me know if you make them, would love to hear how they were!

xo Erin